When a disaster strikes, power outages are the most common thing, bound to happen. There is no definite period to define how long the power outage might last. Hence, it is advised to be prepared, stock canned foods, dry mixes, and other essentials that can work well without refrigeration, cooking, or even water.
Other than natural disasters, and natural calamities, people also store food for fun activities, like camping, trekking, and other outdoor endeavors. Camping emergency food supplies help survive the harsh living conditions, of your camping site.
When putting together emergency food supplies, here are some of the recommendations that might help:
- Freeze-dried food kits available online can be a good save for the future.
- A minimum of a three-day supply of the non-perishable food items is advised.
- Food choices must depend on what your family can comfortably eat.
- Avoid any food item that might cause thirsty throat.
FOOD SAFETY AND SANITATION MEASURES
When you know you might have to survive without electricity or cold storage refrigerators, the chances of bacteria growing on the food increases rapidly. Here are some do’s and don’ts that are sure to help you make a wise choice when it comes to food storage.
- Keep the food containers well covered.
- Be sure to clean the cooking utensils well.
- Throw away food that you feel has come into contact with dirty water.
- If the food item has a bad odor, just toss it away.
- Try and use more dry mixtures that are easy to eat and hassle-free.
- Eat food from swollen, corroded, or dented cans.
- Eat food that looks different or smells bad.
- Be naïve when it comes to sanitation.
What are Helpful Emergency Food Supplies?
These are some of the recommended emergency food supplies advised keeping handy.
- Ready-to-eat canned meats, fruits, vegetables, and a can opener
- Dried fruit
- Protein or fruit bars
- Dry cereal or granola
- Non-perishable pasteurized milk
- High-energy foods
- Freeze-Dried Foods
Should I buy freeze-dried food?
This tends to be a common dilemma, given the slightly expensive price. Freeze-dried survival food kits are a common sight. To obtain freeze-dried food, the items are frozen and then packed in a vacuum that ensures no moisture enters. Here are some of the reasons that make freeze-dried food items a must-have in your camping emergency food supplies kit and also otherwise.
- Canning and dehydrating tend to leave the product bland, freeze-dried food tastes fresh.
- It doesn’t look like a sad nugget packed for later use.
- Freeze-drying retains the nutrients and comes with no added preservatives.
- The shelf life is amazing. They can last months for freezing and years for canning.
- Easy to store and carry. The best choice for emergency food supply kits. Easy to prepare, don’t require much effort from your end.
Are you searching for a reliable brand that offers freeze dried food kits online? Weather Vane Survival Supplies is an online store that extends an array of options when it comes to emergency food supplies and other related products. Browse through the store and purchase suitable products that meet your specific need.